Dermatologist in Singapore
Dr. Teo Wan Lin
MBBS (S’pore), MRCS (Edin), FAMS (Dermatology)
Dr. Teo Wan Lin (Zhang Wanlin; Chinese: 张婉琳), a board-certified dermatologist in Singapore and director of TWL Specialist Skin & Laser Centre, specialises in medical and cosmetic dermatology. An innovator in the dermocosmetic / cosmeceutical skincare industry, she is the chief scientific officer of Dr. TWL Dermaceuticals, an e-commerce-based cosmeceutical concept, which she has taken from its inception in 2016 as a start- up to an established cosmeceutical line in Singapore/Asia today.
Dr. Teo attained her Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery Degree from the National University of Singapore. She is a qualified medical skin, hair and nail specialist – an accredited dermatologist certified by the Ministry of Health’s Specialist Accreditation Board in Singapore. She currently holds the following professional memberships: Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore (College of Physicians, Chapter of Dermatologists) and a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (UK). Dr. Teo also holds the United States Medical License (ECFMG). She completed her dermatology residency program at the National Skin Centre.
Dr. Teo also has a United-States Medical License and has spent time at Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, Texas on a paediatric dermatology rotation. Her dermatology practice, TWL Specialist Skin & Laser Centre, is one of the most prominent dermatology clinics in Singapore and Asia, with several international and regional patients forming her clientele.
Expert on Sensitive Skin Treatment & the Skin Microbiome
Her dermatology practice focuses on skin health with an emphasis on healthy self-perception. She manages complex chronic dermatological conditions such as sensitive/reactive skin, eczema, rosacea and adult acne. She develops a range of evidence-based dermocosmetics under Dr.TWL Pharmacy as adjunct treatment of common facial skin conditions in her practice. The cosmeceuticals are free of irritation side effects, hydroquinone and retinoid-free. The skincare available at Dr.TWL Dermaceuticals is formulated for sensitive and reactive skin-types. It is well tolerated by individuals with skin diseases and are evidence-based to improve skin health.
Author & Beauty KOL
As a prominent dermatologist in Singapore, Dr. Teo is the author of best-selling books on skincare, hair care and beauty, stocked in bookstores Kinokuniya & Times Bookstores islandwide as well as on Amazon Kindle.
Integrative Dermatology with Dermocosmetics
As a dermatologist, Dr. Teo advocates an integrated approach to dermatology and anti-ageing. She manages severe cases of facial skin disorders such as rosacea and eczema in her dermatology practice in Singapore. Dr. Teo strongly advocates emotional healing and compassion in the treatment of dermatological conditions. She addresses the psychosocial impact of these chronic dermatological disorders in tandem with skin healing with medical therapy and dermocosmetics.
In this editorial collaboration for the Jan 2021 issue of Elle Singapore, Dr Teo shares her perspectives as a thought leader in the field of anti aging and dermatology.
Dr. Teo puts the emotional power of dermatology into perspective in this interview with The Peak Singapore.
Her current research work in the brain-skin-connection in the role of anti-ageing has been accepted by the International Journal of Dermatology, a peer reviewed dermatology journal1. Dr. Teo currently the first author of 10 peer-reviewed research papers in the field of dermatology, in the subspecialities of the skin microbiome, biofunctional textiles, pigmentation disorders, skin cancers, skin surgery and drug allergies. Her work has been published in top tier scientific journals – the Journal of Clinical Oncology (American Society of Clinical Oncology, impact factor 33) and the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Furthermore, she was also awarded a scholarship by the International League of Dermatological Societies (ILDS) for the prestigious 22nd World Congress of Dermatology(WCD) 2011 held in Seoul, Korea. She has received Best Service Awards in her time in restructured Hospitals prior to establishing her private practice, in recognition of excellent patient care.
Scientist & Innovator
The dermocosmetic arm develops skincare products based on the concept of a PRECISION Skincare Routine, featuring targeted molecular actions of active ingredients backed by science. The Dr. TWL Biomaterials arm pioneered the concept of textile cosmeceuticals in the treatment of maskne. CUIONS fabric face mask prototype has anti-ageing benefits and treats the skin microbiome. Dr. Teo’s proof of concept was described in Dr.Teo’s original research letter “Diagnostic and Management Considerations of Maskne in the Era of COVID-19” published by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, ranked the top* dermatology journal internationally, in October 2020.
In 2019, she introduced the π-Custom Lip Lab Concept, an edible lipstick concept with anti-aging cosmeceutical benefits. Dr. Teo’s novel concept of a colour titration system for infinite permutations of lip colours with a single LipStain Palette, was featured in the Innovation Edition of Cosmetics Design Asia in 2020. She is widely regarded as first mover in advocating the Skincare-Makeup Hybrid Concept. Her expert opinion piece on the burgeoning market of nutraceuticals (vitamins/supplements on skincare) was covered by MENS FOLIO in 2020. She is the first author of Crystal Tomato’s clinical trial conducted in the National Skin Centre, published in the Journal of Pigmentary Disorders in 2015.
* 2019 impact factor rankings published by the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) Web of Science Group.
1. Teo WL. On thoughts, emotions, facial expressions, and aging. Int J Dermatol. 2021 May;60(5):e200-e202. doi: 10.1111/ijd.15443. Epub 2021 Feb 9. PMID: 33559158. [PubMed]
2. Teo WL. The “Maskne” microbiome – pathophysiology and therapeutics. Int J Dermatol. 2021 Feb 12:10.1111/ijd.15425. doi: 10.1111/ijd.15425. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33576511; PMCID: PMC8013758. [PubMed]
3. Teo WL, Gan E, Jinghan A, Chuah SY, Alain K, et al. Double Blind Placebo Controlled Trial to Evaluate of the Effectiveness of a Dietary Supplement Rich in Carotenoids as Adjunct to Topical Lightening Cream for the Treatment of Melasma: A Pilot Study. Journal of Pigmentary Disorders 2015 2: 164 [ResearchGate]
4. Teo WL, Ong YS, Tan BK. Radical surgical excision and use of lateral thoracic flap for intractable axillary hidradenitis suppurativa. Arch Plast Surg. 2012 Nov;39(6):663-6. [PubMed]
5. Teo WL, Tan SY. Loss of Epstein-Barr virus-encoded RNA expression in cutaneous dissemination of natural killer/T-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2011 Apr 20;29(12):e342-3. [PubMed]
6. Teo WL, Wong CH, Song C. Morpheaform facial basal cell carcinoma – a 16-year experience in an Asian center. Int J Dermatol. 2011 Dec 16. [PubMed]
7. Teo WL, Pang SM. White papules on the chest and back of a middle-aged man. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2011 Jun;40(6):302-3. [PubMed]
8. Teo WL, Pang SM, Koh HY. Allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome with acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis manifestations. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2011 Sep;30(3):243-4. [PubMed]
9. Tan SY, Looi LM, Teo WL, Yeoh WP, Chan KS. An unusual cause of ischaemic colitis. J Clin Pathol. 2012 Jun;65(6):575-6. [PubMed]
10. Teo WL, Pang SM. Levofloxacin-induced toxic epidermal necrolysis treated with intravenous immunoglobulin. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2010 Aug;39(8):660-1. [PubMed]
11. Teo WL. Diagnostic and Management Considerations for ‘Maskne’ in the Era of COVID-19. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Oct 1:S0190-9622(20)32664-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2020.09.063. [PubMed]
Tele-Dermatology Appointment Booking
Book now right here for a virtual Tele-Dermatology consultation appointment with Singapore Dermatologist – Dr. Teo Wan Lin. For bookings made after hours, please allow up to the following working day 10am for the appointment booking to be confirmed. You may also contact TWL Specialist Skin & Laser Centre – Email: email@example.com | Phone: +65 9728 6734, for more details regarding the appointment.